WHAT CAN I DO?
You can take action by following these three steps:
One of the most powerful tools for change is our own personal story.
Tell the world what it has been like to live with eczema – share the lows, the highs, the challenges, and the wins.
You can also do the following:
- Share our Quality of Life Report or Patient Insights Report on your social media, with family and friends.
- Share how eczema impacts your life by using #eczemamatters on ESC’s Facebook page, such as:
- #eczemamatters to my husband who itches all night
- #eczemamatters because new medication means new hope!
- #eczemamatters to my baby who needs better treatment
SIGN UP WITH ESC
Sign-Up with ESC to receive the latest updates on what’s happening, learn more about how you can affect change, and volunteer.
CONTACT YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT
It’s your right to contact and meet or write to your elected official. It’s their responsibility to represent you and your issues! Call, email or meet with your elected official to help the government understand the needs of eczema patients.
What to include when writing a letter or requesting a meeting:
- The date
- Your name and contact information (mailing address and or email address)
- Your story. Try to include 3 key messages and keep each simple (25 words or less) and be clear, compelling, concise, and consistent.
- How does eczema impact your life?
- What does eczema stop you from doing?
- What do you wish people knew about what it is like to live with eczema?
- What do you need from the government to support you?
- Have only one ask and be very specific of what you are asking
- Keep it simple (25 words or less)
- If appropriate, offer a solution
To find your local minister, please consult the chart below for names and contact information:
WHAT CAN YOU TALK ABOUT IN YOUR LETTER?
- WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? E.g. There have been no new medications for a decade
- WHAT IS THE IMPACT? E.g. My eczema causes me to have a poor quality of life
- WHAT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE IF WE SOLVED THE PROBLEM OR DIDN'T? E.g. I would be in less pain, better mental health, etc.
PATIENT SPOTLIGHT : MIKE L
Mike L. recently wrote letters to his Minister of Health and his MPP/MLA. He was kind to share his submissions with ESC. These are great example of how to contact your official, and we invite you to follow this format when writing your letters: